Monday, January 24, 2011

An Interview about 21st Amendment Brewing’s "Bitter American" with a bitter Englishman

Soon to hit the market is the 21st Amendment Brewing’s newest concoction “Bitter American.” This American Style IPA has an ABV of 4.4%. I am really excited about this beer. For me, if this beer is tasty, it will be a perfect lake brew. A beer, in cans, that I can sit and drink tons of and not get bloated or stupid drunk. PERFECT. Below is a conversation with every ones’ favorite Englishman regarding what constitutes a session beer. NOTE: This conversation and interview never happened but these are actual quotes completely taken out of context.


Me: What do you think about the new beer from 21 Amendment? They say Bitter American is going to rock the world with a session beer that has flavor.

Englishman: Well, people keep telling me that there ARE session beers in the USA, so therefore they MUST! I think that 25,000 people have recommended this beer to me over the years!

Me: Well the beer isn’t even out yet; have you had a chance to try this epic new brew?

Englishman: Session beers, as you know, are not defined by what you do with them, rather by their ABV. A 6 or 7% ABV can never be a session beer, no matter what you do with it.

Me: Well, we know, or have been told the beer is an ABV of 4.4% Is this considered a session beer to you?

Englishman: Well, your heritage would suggest there to be no reason why that statement would carry any authority or validity. On the other hand, if you had grown up in the birthplace of such things, with an intimate knowledge of the beer, customs and practice associated with session beer, I would take a very different view. It's really OK to be deferential to knowledge from time to time. Really.

 Me: Well, that doesn’t answer my question, but I am brutally offended that you would insult my heritage like that. Are you not excited 21st Amendment is taking the session beer angle seriously?

 Englishman: 20th/21st century knowledge is sufficient and appropriate.

Me: What? Did you understand my question? Let me rephrase that: Do you think this IPA is going to be something you are interested in trying?

Englishman: If there wasn't such a paralyzing obsession with comparing everything to see what's "best", then it probably wouldn't even have occurred to anyone that this was necessary. Why not just damn well drink a Ruination or a 90 minute if you want, and leave it at that?

Me: Ok, let’s move on: It seems other countries have been producing session beers for a long time. How do you feel about the US producing one that is “close” to sessionable?

 Englishman: So what? It still shows massive ignorance.

Me: Really? Massive ignorance on behalf of the US or 21st amendment? I am confused.

Englishman: My bad, I erroneously figured it was about the USA...Where did I suggest that?

Me: You are forgiven…but for what? I don’t know. Lets move on because we are not getting anywhere with this line of questioning. Tell me why we should try this beer and just sum up your thoughts about the whole 4.4ABV thing:

Englishman: I feel that the one thing that I bring to the table is a combination of experience, knowledge and perspective. However, that is increasingly scorned and generally unwelcome. The internet has made many morons suddenly 'experts', and there is no humility being shown with ignorance or inexperience. In addition, there's a growing sense (especially amongst young people), that EVERYTHING is subjective and there are no definitive statements. When these threads come up, I used to feel as though I could raise the tenor of the debate, and help spread knowledge; unfortunately that is becoming increasingly difficult to achieve. No one wants to listen. That's fine, I'm about to give up. Their loss.

Me: Great. Thank you for nothing.

Englishman: Well, that's all you *can* do, but it renders your (and many others) opinion(s) somewhat, intrinsically flawed. That's my whole beef with... this. There are large numbers of people without a sufficiently large base of experience or perspective to make their comments anything other than subjectively meaningless. Most people are making a judgment about a whole nations' brewing culture, beer and craft, by looking at the beer available to them in the USA. That incredibly limited perspective frankly has little or no value. As a result we learn nothing, and the threads just serve to antagonize. The same is true of that ridiculous tournament thing, and East Coast versus West Coast etc.

Me: Ok, you can stop now,

 Englishman: It serves to reflect on one's preferences and beer drinking history more than it does to solidify a top-5 consensus. I agree, but you'll surely agree with me and the value that I place on the usefulness of such things outside of that, very, very limited, narrow realm?

Me: ummmm ok? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Englishman: LOL. I am ACUTELY aware of THAT!

Cheers! Ryan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
ping podcast